Week 4: Art +Medicine + Technology

 Before this week I had pretty good understanding how Medicine and Technology intertwined. Many of the new advances in technology has helped and influence further methods Medicine. With that being said I never would have seen or made a connection with Art and Medicine because I cannot understand how Art can influence or help medicine in any way. However, now I see that it is the other way around, Medicine has been influencing art. For example. Professor Vesna in  "Human body and medical technologies" that anatomy and dissection has been a fascination for artist. In other words, artist have been able to see the human body as art.
This can also be seen in Silvia Casini's article "Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) as mirror and portrait: MRI Configuration between science and the Arts".  Casini argues that an "MRI as a 'look' in the same way that the portrait has"(Casini 73). To clarify, an MRI has the ability to construct a picture of someone brain.  Therefore, the art of it, is that it captures the beauty of the human body, somewhat like a portrait. The place where we can see that art and medicine connect can be seen Justine Cooper's video amination in 1998. Where she used MRI in her art(Casini 74). 

Now that I think about it, I indeed have seen art and medicine intertwined in hospitals and doctor's office. However, before this weeks reading and lectures I was unaware that the pieces if art hanged in the walls had to do anything with medicine. As a child I would only see it as cool. 





Works Cited 


1. Casini, Silvia. “Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) as Mirror and Portrait: MRI Configurations Between Science and Arts.” (n.d.): n. pag. Web. 26 Oct. 2012.

2. Vesna, Victoria. “Http://www.youtube.com/v/psjnQarHOqQ.” Lecture. Medicine pt2 . Youtube, 21 Apr. 2012. Web. 25 Oct. 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psjnQarHOqQ>.


3. https://www.artslant.com/ny/events/show/18151-terminal?tab=EVENT

4. https://artsciencemediablog.wordpress.com/tag/dissection/

5. http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/306967/view

Comments

  1. I especially like the pictures you chose. They are novel and they reveal your topic in a very clear way. When I search pictures for my blog, I can't really find those that show the connection between art and medicine. But yours look scientific and artistic at the same time. Really enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with the experience of seeing art in a doctor's office and the correlation between art and medicine. I was always perplexed by some of them as a child because they were rather abstract at times. My favorite picture on your blog is the first photo of the three. I feel that it encompasses the combination of art and medicine perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog