Week 2: Math, Nature, and Art


      As a child I always wanted to be a Math teacher. Coincidently, I was a horrible art student that would rather be doing word problems than drawing . My calculus teacher would always tell me “Math is everywhere! You literally are doing math and don’t even know it”(Martha Mata 2012). 
However, as young child I remember the countless hours I would spent drawing and coloring. It is only with Richard Buckminster’ concept of de-genuises that I understood what happened to that young child that loved drawing. According to Buckminster “ every single one of us has a genius inside of us”(Lecture 2- Art). Therefore, anyone can be a mathematician or an artist. However, it is when we enter the educational system that we become de-genius.  Based on Buckminster’ concept of de-genius I conclude that I could have been a talented artist or a great mathematician. However, perhaps was limited by the educational system. 
        Although, some would say that you cannot physically see math in art, you can.  For instance, in an origami. Origami's are art. They are basically pieces of papers folded into specific measurements and angles,  in order to create beautiful pieces of art. 




















       Math can even be seen in nature. For instance, in a factual, “a pattern that repeats itself at different scales”(Eglash). For example, “a tree is a branch of a branch of a branch, mountains are peaks within peaks, clouds are puffs of puffs”(Eglash). In other words, they are smaller patterns all put together in order to create a whole object. Although, some may argue nature has no concept of math. I argue that it does. Take for example a butterfly or 
a flower. These were objects made my nature. However, we can use math to study them. For example, the golden ration can be applied in both of the above objects.







    The fourth dimension encouraged artist to reject the visual reality that had been portrayed through three dimensional; and encouraged the use of math(Henderson 205). 
To simplify, art, nature and science all use Math in order to create and conduct their work. For example, painters use measurements in order to know exactly where they will paint the eyes, themouth, nose or ears of their creation. The Golden ratio can be seen in nature through a daisy. Scientist use math formulas in order to track and triangulate where their study will be. Overall math, art, and science all intertwine. Therefore, they all depend on each other one way or another. 


Works Cited 


Dvorsky, George. "15 Uncanny Examples of the Golden Ration in Nature." Web 
http://io9.gizmodo.com/5985588/15-uncanny-examples-of-the-golden-ratio-in-nature

English, Ron. "African Factual. " N.P., n.d. Web 13 Apr. 2017 

Henderson, Linda Dalrymple. "The Fourth Dimension and Non-Euclidean Geometry in Modern Art: Conclusion." Leonardo 17.3(1984):205.Web 

Lang, Robert. "Origami Design Secrets."(2003): n.pag.Web

http://malini-math.blogspot.com/2010/08/maths-and-nature.html


















Comments

  1. Up until now, I have never thought of art, science, and math being as closely intertwined as you have described them. Similar to your teacher when you were younger, almost every math teacher I had in high school encouraged us to take more of an active role in math class and be more passionate about it because it is something that is existent throughout life and all around us. As I have gotten older, I have realized how useful math can be in any instance--even the use of simple math to measure how far away a destination may be from me. I was a decent artist when I wanted to be but I loved math a lot more and feel that because I devoted more time to that subject instead of my drawing skills--because I thought it was more useful in life and that I was better at it than drawing--I excelled in it more. Had I focused on both equally and seen both skills as equally useful in life, I may have been a better artist than I turned out to be. I believe that this may be a similar circumstance that others may face who excel more at math and quantum reasoning that they do at art and their creativity--or vice versa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog